Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

no more shopping for a while

Eli had his first trip to a store today! R and I took him on a quick trip to the K-Mart this afternoon. We chose that store because it's close to the house, and we knew it wouldn't be crowded on a Tuesday afternoon. We had a few things we needed to get, and I was feeling very stir crazy, because except for going to the doctor, I have not been anywhere in several weeks. The drive was only 10 minutes. He rode just fine. He always does so well in the car, just looking out the windows and taking everything in.

He rode in the shopping cart for the first time. I should have taken a camera. He was just so adorable! R pushed the cart, and we tried to hurry. He only liked the cart when it was moving, and he did reach out and try to touch things if they were close. After about 20 minutes, we were almost finished, and we could tell he was reaching his limit. He was starting to rock his head back and forth, so we decided to go ahead and check out.

The car was hot from sitting in the sun in the parking lot, and he did not like that at all. We turned the AC on immediately. He's not used to this humid southern weather, and it's not even that hot here yet. We wonder how long it will take for his little body to adapt to the climate.

When we got home, I fixed his dinner right away. R started feeding him, and he started melting down. I took over, and he ate a little for me, but then just had a full blown meltdown in the highchair. I took him out of the highchair and sat him in my lap. He stopped crying, and then I was able to feed him while holding him, as if he were a much younger baby. He finished his dinner with no more tears. I was so happy that I figured out what to do that actually worked!

He was agitated for the rest of the evening, until we put him to bed. He calmed down long enough for R to rock him and give him a bottle, but as soon as the bottle was empty, he started fussing again.

So, we tried an outing, but it seemed to be too much for him, so we'll wait a while before we take him out again. Slow steps.

1 comment:

Kevin T. said...

Hi Ana, I babysat for my nephew this past weekend (he is about 20 months old) and I did get a lot of practice - I see how challenging it is to try to figure out why they get fussy. You look like you are a natural at this!! It is good that you all got to venture out for a while! Take care, Teresa